This is one of those fabulous dishes that fills everyone up, and in a house full of boys that is a bonus. You’ve got parmesan infused polenta layered with three fabulous cheeses and topped with more parmesan and baked to perfection — it is a fantastic twist on lasagna. And if that isn’t tempting enough, this recipe leaves you with plenty of remaining mascarpone cheese sitting in the fridge just screaming to be made into a tiramisu. (*hint hint*)
This is a very dense entree so I recommend serving it with a nice light salad with a vinaigrette dressing to balance things out a bit.
Time commitment: 2 hrs, 20 minutes Active time: 20 minutes
2 1/2 cups of vegetable stock
2 cups water
2 cups polenta (corn meal)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (the stinkier the better)
at least 3 1/2 oz. havarti cheese – sliced
at least 3 1/2 oz. mascarpone cheese 3 1/2 oz.
at least 3 1/2 oz. your preference of crumbled stinky cheese (we use feta, but blue cheese works well)
at least 3 1/2 oz. butter – sliced thinly
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Brush a loaf pan with oil. Set aside
- Heat the vegetable stock and water in a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat until it boils.
- Add in the polenta and stir continuously (sorry about all that stirring but its got to be done) until *very* thick, approx. ten minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup of the parmesan cheese.
- Spread into the prepared loaf pan. Smooth out the surface. You might want to give it a few taps on the counter to get the air pockets out.
- Chill for at least two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Brush an oven-safe dish with oil.
- Cut the chilled polenta into thin slices – approx. 30
- Place a layer of polenta slices to form a base (you start with a layer of polenta and end with a layer of polenta)
- Top with your cheeses and butter slices.
- Continue layering your polenta and cheeses/butter. Finish with a layer of polenta.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup parmesan cheese along the top layer.
- Bake for 30 minutes in preheated oven, or until a lovely golden crust forms. Serve immediately.